Wednesday, August 5, 2015

1964 World's Fair Souvenir Map: Part 1


One hobby of mine and my girlfriends is visiting antique stores here on the gulf coast of Florida. I always have my eyes open for the next piece of Disney history to add to my collection. Well recently we found just that. The store had a whole shelf of 64 World's Fair items. And right in the middle was this amazing map. For those of you that are not familiar with the connection of Walt Disney and the World's Fair I'll enlighten you. Walt was already glowing in the success of Disneyland by the mid 60's so he was asked to work on several attractions for the fair. They were Magic Skyways, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, Small World, and the Carousel of Progress. Many of those names may sound familiar as they have become timeless additions to both Disneyland and Walt Disney World. In Part 2 of this series I'll go into more detail and history of these attractions. But for now I wanted to show you a grand overview of this amazing guide map. I love the cartoon look to it and yet its very detailed and accurate. In Part 3 we will also look closer at the map at some of the non Disney related areas but till then enjoy this birds eye view of the 1964 World's Fair.

The outer cover

Inside the cover. Would love to get my 
hands on that cloth deluxe edition.

The unfolding. So exciting right?

This is the backside of the map with a 
Large view of the Surrounding area.

The backside again. Look at how large this map is.
It takes up most my dining room table.

So here it is... the front of the map lol. I recommend 
right clicking on the image and selecting open
in another tab so you can see the full size version.


No comments:

Post a Comment